There's a huge amount of scary misinformation out there that keeps beneficaries in fear of the system and in a state of perpetual poverty. The truth is, in a nutshell:
- SSI recipients will have to earn more than double their SSI payment before it is reduced to $0
- SSI recipients will have to earn over $34,000 before they are no longer eligible for SSI-linked, no-share-of-cost Medi-Cal
- If income is substantially higher or if the consumer is receiving SSDI and is employed, he/she may enroll in the Medi-Cal Working Disabled Program www.chiip.org
- SSDI recipients can earn earn as much as possible for 9 full months before their benefit is affected
- SSDI recipients can work for another 36 months and keep their benefits before their benefit ceases
- Medicare continues for over 8 years at reduced premiums
I want to make sure that people understand that intrest in employment or re-employment does not cause anyone to "lose" their benefits.
There's much more, of course. Click on this link: http://www.disabilitybenefits101.org/planning/(S(mwkgwxa40ahctw45lbj31ni2))/b2w2_start.aspx?screen=start&l=b2w2 and check out the Benefits to Work Calculator.